Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Found Drawings



I had an idea immediately when I was walking to the bus stop. My idea was to take pics of the...what I named..."road nuggets." These are the little bumps that are placed in the center of the lanes on most roads. I thought that organic shape of the tar used to place the geometric shape of the "nugget" would be great for this project.

BUT...when I got back to my hotel, there was a truck that had all of the fans, blowers, and dehumidifiers that are used for fire/water damage clean up. They were stacked in the back of a box truck and the door was open. I thought...PERFECT! So, I took some pictures of the each of the different types. They were all this beautiful blueish green color. I made the color a little bit more intense but still kept the same basic blue green hue. I played and played with these in photoshop, turning, flipping, and cropping. I am quite the novice when it comes to photoshop but I think what I did turned out pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. I think these are great! Not only did you transform a ridiculously bad situation, like your hotel catching on fire, into a refined, sleek image; but you’ve made me curious. From first glance I can’t quite figure out what the image is, I can’t tell the scale or even the material. I am attracted to the black and white composition and I love what you’ve done to the blue color. Repeating the form and cropping the shapes really alters my expectations. I think these are really strong works and I would like to see them very large. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found these pictures absolutely fascinating. Dawn, you truly have conquered Photoshop. The photographs deconstruct the fans, blowers and dehumidifiers in such a way that they truly become non-representational art pieces of their own. The blue is vibrant and deeply engaging. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete